Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and while it’s not my favorite holiday, it is a perfect excuse to make and enjoy loads of sweet treats. It’s also a good excuse to enjoy an especially nice meal with your sweetheart, either at home or out. Candles and roses required of course.
In anticipation of Valentine’s Day I’ve decided to spend the next couple of weeks baking and sharing some delicious Valentine’s Day goodies. By the time it rolls around my husband is probably going to be sick of chocolate, but that’s ok. I’ll pick up the slack. I have this amazing ability to endure baked goods and sugar beyond what is considered normal. What can I say, it’s a gift!
These are not your typical chocolate cookie since they’re flourless (gluten free!) and end up being very crunchy on the outside with just a little bit of gooey middle. Whole Foods makes a similar cookie that has walnuts which I kind of love. You could easily adds nuts into this cookie if you’d like. The pure chocolately goodness of them without nuts is wonderful, though. The cocoa powder, semi sweet and milk chocolate chips makes these triple chocolate, but you could opt for just one kind of chip, or go crazy and add in dark chocolate chunks as well.
This cookie batter/dough comes together in no time and while you can use a stand mixer, you don’t need one. The ingredients are simple and you likely have them all in your kitchen right now. You definitely need to bake these cookies on parchment paper or a nonstick silicon mat. They stick a little, even to the parchment, so use a stiff spatula (or a small offset one) to get underneath the cookies as you’re taking them off the sheet. This way you won’t lose any chocolate pieces. That would be a tragedy.
Watch out for little hands. They’ll swoop down when you least expect it and steal these. I let her eat the whole thing by the way. Right before dinner. Great parenting over here.
Flourless Triple Chocolate Cookies
From Food 52
Makes 24-30 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup good cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 1/4 cup milk chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/2-1 cup nuts, toasted and chopped, optional
- Sea salt flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment (you’ll need more parchment for each batch).
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat in the egg whites until well combined, then mix in vanilla.
- Fold in chocolate chips/chunks and nuts if desired.
- Spoon batter, 2 rounded teaspoons per cookie, onto your cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart for spreading. I found I could fit 6-8 cookies per sheet without any problems. Sprinkle each cookie with salt if desired.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until cookies look just set and dry on top with some cracking. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.