When Ben ate one of these he practically fell over, overtaken by deliciousness. The tart cherries, sweet coconut, crunchy almonds and oats make this an incredible cookie. I have nothing else to say. Enjoy.
Cherry, Almond & Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup blanched, chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried cherries (or cranberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats, almonds, coconut and cherries until just blended.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets, about 6 to a sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes rotating half-way through. Cool cookies on a wire rack.