I’m not sure who really gets the credit for sandwiching an Oreo between cookie dough, but I first saw this cookie on Picky Palate. Since then I have seen it all over the place. What a crazy and ridiculously delicious idea! I made these cookies in February of last year and they were a huge hit. When I told people that these cookies were in fact 2 cookies wrapped around an Oreo cookie they would kind of roll their eyes, as if to say “This is entirely too decadent for me, or any sane person at all concerned with their waistline.” But the next thing I knew they’d eaten at least one of them (if not more). I admit, this is not a cookie you just keep in the cookie jar as a daily treat.
Yesterday was a rainy day here. I wanted to bake, but didn’t want to venture out. Before my son was born I would have braved almost anything outside my front door if there was something I needed from the store. Not the case anymore! So I raided the pantry. I had a half of a package of Oreos, but no chocolate chips. I did have cocoa, butter, flour, sugar and eggs. So I decided to make a chocolate cookie dough and use that to encase the Oreo. I ended up with these little…ok, fine, rather large beauties.
These were good. Gooey, chocolatey, decadent and perfect served with a cold glass of milk or a nice little scoop of vanilla ice cream. If I had to choose between these and the chocolate chip version, I’d choose the chocolate chip. I think the texture of the chocolate chip dough against the Oreo was better. Adding chocolate chips to the chocolate dough might be a good way to get closer to the other version while still giving the chocolate lover in you a nice treat.
My first batch spread quite a bit, making the Oreo inside pretty obvious. So, prepare the cookies, then chill them on the cookie sheets in the fridge for 15 minutes or so.
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15-18 Oreo cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, then mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture on low speed until all flour is incorporated. Use a spatula to get dough from the bottom of your bowl, then mix again until dough is uniform. Chill dough for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Scoop 2 rounded tablespoons of dough, slightly flatten one scoop and place Oreo on top. Cover Oreo with the other scoop of dough and press dough around edges, making sure the Oreo is enclosed and the cookie is even in thickness.
- Repeat, and bake cookies (about 6 to a sheet) for 11-13 minutes. They will look done, but still be soft. Let them cool on the sheets for 2-3 minutes, then move to cooking racks.