There are times in my life, for reasons unknown, that I just crave something. There isn’t always a good or rational reason for the craving. It just happens. Last weekend I was craving cake donuts. I was really craving blueberry cake donuts from Lone Star Bakery in Round Rock, Texas. But seeing as how I live about 500 miles from there now I would have to settle for these homemade donuts. Maybe settle is not the right word. To “settle” implies that I was accepting something less. These were no bakery donut, but I would not classify them in the “settling” category. These were some yummy donuts.
I found these donuts to be very simple and delicious. The texture was delicate and sweet. I liked the coating of cinnamon sugar and the contrast of soft donut to crunchy sugar. The slight nutmeg flavor is perfect.
This recipe is from allrecipes.com and I followed it word for word. Well, I guess I refrigerated the dough for more than an hour. It was more like 2 hours. But I don’t consider that a modification. I consider it more like bad planning. With the good results I got with the increased chilling, you could probably make the dough the night before and use it in the morning. I love things you can make ahead of time.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 quarts oil for deep frying
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup white sugar
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet or deep-fryer to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- On a floured board, roll chilled dough out to ½ inch thickness. Use a 3 inch round cutter to cut out doughnuts. Use a smaller cutter to cut holes from center.
- Fry doughnuts in hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Remove from oil to drain on paper plates.
- Combine the remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ cup sugar in a large re-sealable bag. Place a few warm donuts into the bag at a time, seal and shake to coat. Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee.