Egg Roll Bowls with Spicy Sesame Mayo
This has been a favorite of ours for a while now, and I’m so happy to be sharing it! The original recipe is from Paleo Running Mama and is (surprise!) paleo, as well as Keto and Whole 30. Those are not things that we do here, so I’ve made some small changes to this recipe that make it work for us and uses what we have in the house. If you need those restrictions, head over to her blog! There are so many yummy and healthy things to drool over.
Because of Covid we are all making adjustments to our lifestyles in countless ways. Food and cooking is such a big part of my life that adjusting the way in which I meal plan and feed the family has been a challenge. It’s forced me to get creative, to find substitutes for things in recipes or go in to dinner with no recipe at all, just an idea and random ingredients! I’ve shared the recipe below as I usually make it, but I did have to make a few changes based on what I could get my hands on. Thankfully this is a forgiving recipe!
I love how versatile this dish is. Use whatever combination of vegetables you have or you like. Most if not all of them you can buy pre-cut, so this comes together really quickly. I usually use chicken breasts for this, but couldn’t get any, so I used half of a rotisserie chicken and I gotta be honest, I did not mind that shortcut! You could easily use ground pork, beef, chicken or turkey. Or skip the meat altogether. I like to use red cabbage, but I’d bought a huge bag of cole slaw mix at Sam’s and put that to good use here. To stretch this dish you can serve it on top of rice. However you decide to make it, DO NOT SKIP THE MAYO! It absolutely makes the dish.
Ginger tip! Often when I’m cooking something with fresh ginger I end up having part of it left over. If you freeze the piece on its own it gets a weird texture when it thaws that makes it hard to grate. So I tried freezing it already grated and THAT has been such a fantastic way to have ginger on hand. Just buy a big hunk of it, peel it, grate it (on a microplane if you have one) and freeze in tablespoon portions in small snack bags. You’re welcome.
Chicken Egg Roll Bowls with Spicy Sesame Mayo
From Paleo Running Momma
- cooking oil (olive, avocado, vegetable)
- salt and pepper to season chicken
- 1-2 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, cut into thin strips (can also use shredded rotisserie chicken, or ground beef, pork, etc.)
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1 bag shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 small bag red cabbage
- 1 small bag coleslaw mix
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- sliced green onions to garnish (optional)
- Cooked white or brown rice
Spicy Sesame Mayo
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2-3 teaspoons sriracha
- Make the Mayo: Whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate. Can be made hours or days ahead of time and stored in a sealed container.
- Make the Chicken and Veggie Mix: Heat a generous drizzle of oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook fully, stirring so that it cooks evenly, 5-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. *Skip this if you’re using pre-cooked chicken.
- Add a little more oil to the pan. Once it’s hot, add all of the vegetables to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetable begin to soften.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to combine everything.
- Stir in the soy sauce, sesame oil and sriracha.
- Add the chicken back to the vegetables and stir everything together.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, soy sauce and sriracha if needed.
- Serve with a drizzle or dollop of the spicy mayo as is or over rice. Enjoy!