Coconut Oil. Apparently it can do almost anything. It can make your hair long and luxurious, get rid of stretch marks, help nursing moms increase their milk supply and bring about world peace when applied daily. I’ve been seeing it everywhere lately and thought I’d give it a try as a replacement for butter in cookies.
These were delicious and I would definitely make them again. The coconut oil gives them a subtle coconut flavor without the texture and chew of coconut flakes and a richness that is different than that of butter. Sprinkling a little flaked salt on top before and right after baking really makes these special. Ben, who doesn’t always love sweets, enjoyed the combination of salty and sweet and I think he ate more than just the one obligatory cookie. And that is saying something.
Guittard milk chocolate chips (the ones in the silver bag with blue label) are my favorite and using them in these cookies didn’t hurt in making them extra super tasty. They’re a little larger than the typical chocolate chip and so delicious and creamy. I’ve been known to sit with a bag of these and snack my way through half of it. Which is why when I am going to buy a bag to make cookies I buy a second bag for snacking. No lie. It might be a problem? If you’d rather, dark chocolate chips would also be wonderful I am sure. Enjoy!
Salted Chocolate Chip Coconut Oil Cookies
- 2 2/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut oil (softened if needed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- flaked salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat together coconut oil and sugars, then beat in eggs and vanilla until well mixed.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix just to combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and coconut.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets and sprinkle each cookie with a bit of salt flakes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on size) until edges are just browned. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle a bit more salt on each cookie.
- Let cool and enjoy!