I’ve always called these gingersnaps, but they cannot accurately have that name since there is very little “snap” to them in texture. If you’re looking for a crispy gingersnap, this is not the cookie for you. These cookies are incredibly delicious and something that always makes me think of this time of year. After I got them in the oven my house finally smelled like it should a week before Christmas. I can’t really say anything else about them. They are just so very good.
Since this makes a lot of sturdy dough, make sure to use a stand mixer. Or make half the recipe so that a hand mixer won’t give up on you. Or, if you’re looking for an arm workout, mix them up with a big wooden spoon. Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!
Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in molasses, and then eggs. Mix until combined.
- Whisk together flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients in 2-3 additions, beat until well combined.
- Roll into golf ball sized balls, roll in sugar, and place on a baking sheet with about 2 inches in between.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.