Who would have thought? Peas. And, to shock you even more, it was GOOD. And not just so-so, but really, really good. Like I finished it off by scraping the sides of the bowl. That kind of good. And you still feel good because at least half of the bulk of this guacamole is pureed green peas and not high fat (even though it is good fat) avocado.
I made this for a Superbowl party. It was a small gathering and we probably didn’t need any snacks along with our pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw, baked beans, fruit salad and cookies. But it was the Superbowl, and for some reason that has become an excuse for Americans to stuff themselves silly. I made a compromise with myself to still have guacamole, but to make it a little healthier. I don’t know where I originally saw this idea. Maybe Pinterest? I found many recipes, some using peas and avocado, some using all peas and no avocado. I decided a combination would be more like the original and therefore more likely to fool people.
I love cilantro. If you don’t so much, use less. Same with the jalapeno, but I didn’t find the amount I used below to be too much. As with all guacamole, taste as you go and adjust your seasonings accordingly. I like to taste test on what I’ll be serving with the dip. Since I was serving this with tortilla chips, I probably used less salt than if I was serving it with crudites. Enjoy!
Pea and Avocado Gaucamole
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 10-ounce bag of frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup finely minced red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes (I used about 15 quartered cherry tomatoes)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- dash of garlic powder (or use finely minced fresh garlic to taste)
- Puree peas in food processor until smooth.
- In a bowl, mash avocado with peas. Stir in onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno and tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin and garlic. Taste and adjust.
- Serve immediately or cover directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.