These little guys come together easily with very little cooking, making them a quick, easy and tasty weeknight meal.
All you need is a rotisserie chicken, a can of black beans, a can of corn, tortillas, feta cheese, avocado, tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, limes and fresh cilantro.
You can change anything about this meal to make it fit your family, the amount of time you have and the time of year. Use flour or corn tortillas, different cheeses, cook your own black beans, use fresh corn and roast it on the grill (yum), cook your own chicken the way you like it, and you can even leave out the chicken altogether for a vegetarian taco dinner.
I found a Honey Jalapeno rotisserie chicken at HEB and it was really tasty with just the right amount of spicy kick and sweetness. I shredded half the chicken and that made 8 generously sized tacos. I used the rest of the chicken throughout the week for lunches.
Prep everything before beginning to assemble the tacos. This just makes life easier, and is necessary if people are going to assemble their own.
You can use room temperature tortillas, but heating them makes the tacos much tastier. Here are some ways you can warm tortillas.
- Wrap as many as 12 tortillas in paper towels that have been lightly splashed with water.
- Microwave on high for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Turn over stack of tortillas. Microwave 15 to 30 seconds longer or until heated thoroughly.
- Wrap as many as 12 tortillas in aluminum foil.
- Heat in 325°F oven for 20 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
This is my favorite because you can get a perfect crunchy edge if you want it. Don’t let them get too crunchy or they will crack when you try to wrap the taco.
- Heat a heavy pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Warm tortillas for 15 seconds on each side or until heated thoroughly.
- After heating, keep wrapped in a clean dishtowel while you warm the rest.
Chicken, Black Bean, Corn and Feta Tacos
- Shredded chicken, about 2 cups
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- salt, pepper and cumin to taste
- 1/2 cup (or more) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or cubed
- diced tomatoes
- pickled jalapenos
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6-8 tortillas, flour or corn, warmed
- Combine black beans and corn in a small saucepan with 1-2 tablespoons of water. Warm over low heat and season with salt, pepper and cumin if desired, stirring occasionally until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Warm tortillas and keep warm while prepping the rest of your ingredients.
- Assemble tacos: In the center of the tortilla layer chicken, then bean and corn mixture, cheese then the vegetables of your choice. Squeeze a lime wedge over the taco if desired.