Frozen S’mores Mousse
The name of this retro dessert in the cookbook I found it in is chocolate marlow, but I figured that while that might intrigue some people, it would be better to describe it more…descriptively. It’s a chocolate and marshmallow mousse that’s frozen then topped with whipped cream, sugar coated graham crackers and some chopped chocolate. In other words, amazing.
If you like the flavors of a s’more but want something a little different and dressed up, then you’ll love this. The marshmallow flavor is there but is not overwhelming or cloying. The graham crackers are baked with egg white and a sprinkling of sugar that transforms them into something really incredible. There’s a terrific crunch from the sugar and a kind of toasted-ness that makes these a perfect garnish. I’d definitely make more graham crackers next time since they’re also a good alternative to a spoon or fork!
After making a chocolate base of marshmallow, chocolate and milk it is chilled then folded in with whipped cream. After a 1 hour chill in the freezer it is perfectly scoop-able. If you allow it to harden completely in the freezer you need to let it sit out for 20-30 minutes before scooping.
After scooping I decided topping this with a little sweetened whipped cream couldn’t hurt anybody. A couple of the graham crackers and a square of chocolate top this off perfectly.
Crumble up the graham crackers over everything before enjoying!
Frozen S’mores Mousse
From America’s Best Lost Recipes
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2/3 cup milk
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used 4 ounces semisweet and 2 ounces 60% cocoa) chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 whole graham crackers (or more)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- granulated sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate squares
- Combine the marshmallows, milk and chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly until marshmallows are melted completely and mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Whip cream to soft peaks and stir in vanilla.
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture,
- Scoop into a 2 quart souffle dish and freeze for 1 hour.
Sugared Graham Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lay crackers out on cookie sheet. Brush each with the egg white, then sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, then let cool completely and break into pieces.
- If mousse is still scoop-able, scoop into dessert bowls. If it is too hard to scoop, let warm up a bit.
- Top with whipped cream, a couple of crackers and a chocolate square.