Daring Bakers: Dutch Sweet Bread
I am pleased to say that I have successfully completed an entire year of The Daring Bakers! Wahoo! It ended with this Dutch sweet bread that I got to bring to our family Christmas.
For the month of December, Andrea from 4pure took us on a trip to the Netherlands. She challenged us to take our taste buds on a joyride through the land of sugar and spice by baking three different types of Dutch sweet bread.
This bread has nice flavor. It was chewy and is most delicious eaten toasted with a spread of butter.
I’m keeping this post short since I’m currently sitting at the kitchen table at my parents house. So I’m off to spend some more time with them and laugh uncontrollably at silly things with my sisters. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!
Dutch Sweet Bread
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 cup less 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon ground gingerbread spices
- 1¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour (I used all purpose)
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
Gingerbread Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and sugar a loaf pan.
- Put the egg, syrup, water, spices and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk until everything is dissolved.
- Add the flour and the baking powder into the bowl and mix all the ingredients with a wooden spoon until the flour is wet. Some lumps are ok.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.