Since I am kind of a hermit these days as a new mommy, I have been raiding my pantry in search of things I can cook or bake with instead of going to the grocery store. I found a jar of lemon curd in there and so I made these bars.
My mom makes the BEST lemon bars, but these were pretty good and different enough not to be a competitor. My mom’s are super simple with a buttery crust topped with a tart lemon filling and dusted with powdered sugar. In contrast, these bars have a crumbly almond and coconut topping that makes them a little special.
I found the recipe on allrecipes.com. Here is the link. The recipe calls for a jar of lemon curd, but I think you could easily use any lemon bar filling as a substitute. This basic filling would be a good one.
Lemon Curd Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (10 ounce) jar lemon curd
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter. Add the flour, sugar and baking soda. Mix until the mixture forms coarse crumbs
- Pat 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of one 9×13 inch baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Spread the lemon curd over the baked layer. To the remaining 1/3 of crumb mixture add the coconut and the almonds. Sprinkle over the top of the lemon curd.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake bars for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.