There are a lot of foods that hold great memories for me. I am sure I’ve talked about that before, and maybe that is the case for many of you. Of course during this time of year, where food is so important, I have the desire to make and eat a lot of those foods. These peppermint bars are one of my favorite Christmas sweets that my mom makes and I’m happy to share them with you!
These layered brownies pack a punch and are best enjoyed cut into small squares. The bottom chocolate brownie layer is dense and decadent. The peppermint layer is sweet and smooth. The chocolate on top is bittersweet and a perfect contrast to the sweetness.
I used to sneak these from the freezer, they are delicious after warming up just enough to be chew-able. They are also quite good at room temperature, just a little messy. But licking chocolate off of your fingers isn’t all bad.
There are a few tips that make baking and serving these easier.
- Line the pan with foil and butter it well.
- Use an offset spatula to spread the mint and the chocolate layers.
- Chill the bars well after the mint and chocolate layers.
- Remove from the freezer and let the bars warm up for about 30 minutes before cutting, if you cut them frozen the chocolate will crack.
- Use the foil to lift the bars out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Use a warm knife to cut into squares, wiping it clean after each cut. At that point either serve or carefully repackage the squares and chill or freeze to serve later.
These are a perfect dessert buffet addition, and they would also make a great addition to a cookie plate along with other cookies. I hope you try these and enjoy them as much as I do.
Chocolate Peppermint Squares
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Top Chocolate Layer
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare an 8-inch pan by lining it with foil and buttering the foil.
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat, then set aside.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light in color and fluffy.
- Stir in flour, chocolate mixture and nuts.
- Spread into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool for room temperature.
- Beat together powdered sugar, butter and milk until smooth.
- Mix in peppermint extract and a couple drops of food coloring to achieve the color and shade that you’d like. My mom always did green or pink.
- Spread evenly over the cooled brownies and place in the freezer until set, at least 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and butter together. I do this in the microwave. Chop the chocolate roughly and cut the butter into chunks. Combine in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 15 second increments, stirring well in between until melted and smooth.
- Remove chilled bars and pour the chocolate on top and tilt the pan to spread the chocolate around. Use an offset spatula to even out the chocolate if needed.
- Freeze for at least an hour.