It is starting to really feel like fall here. The evenings are cool, the leaves are starting to change and fall off the trees, and it is now permissible to make fall flavored desserts! So, in honor of this wonderful season I bought 4 cans of pumpkin and am going a little crazy baking pumpkin desserts.
Today I made soft, almost cake-like pumpkin cookies sandwiching a smooth cream cheese frosting. After making a few of the sandwiches I decided to simply ice the rest of the cookies. I made the cookies a little big, and so two of the cookies with the filling just made them a bit daunting.
This recipe is from Tasty Kitchen. Here is the link. If you look at this recipe you will notice that one tedious element is piping the cookies onto individual pieces of parchment paper. I just used an ice cream scoop and dolloped the cookie batter onto a large piece of parchment. This works just fine, but does give the cookies more of a mounded appearance. I fit 6 cookies per sheet and made a total of 35 cookies.
These cookies are quite soft, and the frosting makes them even harder to transport since you can’t stack them. So, these may be a dessert I make and serve from my our kitchen instead of trying to take them somewhere…like I did today. Ben liked them because they were not too sweet, and my friend Jackie said they had the texture of a pumpkin bread. They are quite good after chilling in the fridge for a few hours and eaten cold.
I think fall is my favorite baking season. Maybe I’ll make a pie here pretty soon. You don’t have to have a reason to make a pie, right?
Pumpkin Cookie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
Courtesy of Tasty Kitchen
- FOR COOKIES:
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 can Pumpkin (15 Oz.)
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoons Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoons Ground Cloves
- FOR FILLING:
- 1 package Cream Cheese Softened (8 Oz.)
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 1 package Powdered Sugar (16 Oz.)
- 3 drops Vanilla Extract
- 2 dashes Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pumpkin Creme Pies: Beat together brown sugar, sugar, oil and pumpkin. Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition, followed by the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Line a few baking sheets with parchment. Drop (or pipe) batter by golfball size amount onto parchment, about 6 to a sheet since they will spread during baking.
- Bake for 11 minutes, or until firm, and cool on a rack.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Beat together cream cheese and butter. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Frost flat side of half the pies and top with another piece.
- Enjoy right away, or chill overnight. These keep very nicely in the fridge for at least a few days.