I’m working my way through some recipes in the Milk Bar cookbook and really enjoying it so far! If you missed this post, then check it out now. Those cookies will blow your socks off. This is another one that is on the simple side, not at all daunting. It wasn’t what I expected when I saw “brownie pie”, but was quite delicious and something I’d definitely make again.
The base of this fudgy pie is a slightly salty graham crust. The filling is rich and chocolatey and not overly sweet. The brownie filling is super fudgy and on the edge of being too gooey. I think it could’ve used another 5 minutes in the oven? By the time I realized it might be too gooey it was too late to bake it any longer. I put it in the fridge to firm up and it turned out very well, but maybe just not exactly like it’s intended to be.
The first time we ate this we served it with vanilla ice cream. It was terrific. The next time I ate it with sweetened whipped cream. That is the way to do it, friends. I usually prefer ice cream with my desserts, but the whipped cream was so perfect with this pie.
The only issue I had with this pie was cutting the crust and getting it out of the pan. I didn’t grease the pie plate because it contains enough butter that I didn’t think sticking would be a problem. Unfortunately the crust was also a little difficult to slice through. But that was more of a problem when it was cold from the fridge. If you let it soften up a bit, then the butter in the crust has time to soften and it’s easier to slice through. But even with this minor nuisance this was a terrific tasting pie.
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- Toss all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Toss the wet ingredients with the dry in the large bowl. If the mixture does not stick together when you squeeze some of it together, then add another tablespoon of melted butter.
- Press the mixture evenly into a greased pie plate and set aside.
Brownie Pie Filling
- prepared graham crust
- 4 1/2 ounces 72% chocolate (I used 60%)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- ice cream or sweetened whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and melt together in 15 seconds increments, stirring between, until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine eggs ans sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high for 3-4 minutes until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and add in chocolate, mix on low to begin and then increase to medium and beat for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder and salt and mix on low until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
- Mix in cream with mixer on low and continue to mix until white streaks of cream have mixed in completely.
- Place the graham crust on a sheet pan, then pour the pie filling into the crust. Bake for 25 minutes. The pie should develop a crusty top and puff on the sides. If a crust has not formed then bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cool the pie completely before serving. If it is gooey, place it in the fridge to firm up before slicing. Top with whipped cream or ice cream.