Sometimes you just need to bake something. Maybe the weather is dreary, you’ve had a bad day, or, if you’re anything like me, you just need a project that has a beginning and an end and tangible (and edible!) results because no other task you’ve attempted that day has been successfully completed. You want something quick with very little prep and a short bake time so that you don’t have to wait long to enjoy the fruits of your labor. These oatmeal bars meet every one of those qualifications AND they’re delicious. They remind me a lot of the oat and honey Nature Valley bars. Drizzle on some melted chocolate chips to make them a bit fancier, but they are really good just on their own.
This recipe is from a cookbook I have baked from a lot, but it’s been a while, Rebecca Rather’s Pastry Queen. It is one of my favorite dessert cookbooks. Most of you probably scrounge around on the internet for recipes, like I do. But then you browse an old cookbook and find a real gem and you tell yourself you’ll do it more often. But you somehow find yourself going back to the computer or pinterest the next time. I urge you to go to your cookbooks! I have so many of them, some I have never even cooked from. And that’s a shame. I vow to do more cooking from physical cookbooks. You should join me. Back to the bars.
If you bake at all, then you have everything you need for these bars. They come together in a snap and bake up in a mere 20 minutes. After cooling they are very crunchy, so slicing them is really more like sawing or chopping. If you’re not so concerned with appearance you can just break them apart into pieces. Those pieces might be amazing along with a bowl of vanilla ice cream…and some hot fudge…
Crunchy Coconut and Oat Bars
From The Pastry Queen
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl stir together oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and coconut. Pour melted butter over and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Press firmly into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool for 20 minutes before cutting into bars.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle over bars or dip them.