Having kids has somehow made it ok to for me to purchase certain kinds of cereal. Lucky Charms is usually the one I fall for, and Carson loves it, of course. But a while back I just had to buy a box of Fruit Loops. I loved them as a kid. It made the milk turn a lovely pastel color and made the milk taste super delicious, like most sugary cereals do. I thought the kids would LOVE it. Both of them refused to eat it. I guess that’s good, but it did mean I had a huge family sized box that was just begging to be made into something delicious.
With a couple of bags of marshmallows in my pantry it was an easy decision to make Rice Krispy Treats, only with Fruit Loops.
I think these are beautiful! The colors are just a lot of fun. When Ben saw these on the counter he said, “Ewww.” He isn’t a big fan of super sweet treats, so the combination of sugar cereal and marshmallow doesn’t appeal to him in the least. They are a little over the top, I’ll admit. And they are sweet, a small square is just enough. I think they’d be a great little treat at a kid’s birthday party. But they’re also a nice little treat for adults as well.
Fruit Loop Marshmallow Treats
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 stick of butter (plus more for the pan and your hands)
- 8 cups of Fruit Loops
- Butter a 9×13 inch pan and set aside.
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat in a large pot until marshmallows are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the Fruit Loops and mix well to coat all the cereal.
- Pour the mixture out into the pan, then butter your hands and press mixture out evenly. Let cool, then cut into squares.