This recipe is from the Tasty Kitchen blog, Pioneer Woman’s recipe sharing community. I sometimes forget to look here for recipes, but thanks to my Google Reader I am reminded to check it out every now and then when there is a new post. The site is organized well, and is easy and fun to search through. If you haven’t checked it out, you should. Here is the link to the recipe for these cookies.
These cookies have three kinds of chocolate, and that is never a bad idea. To make these cookies chocolate, you mix in hot chocolate mix instead of cocoa which creates a lighter chocolate flavor and color. I loved the combination of different kinds of chocolate and the subtle chocolate flavor in the cookies themselves.
I had three chunks of Callebaut chocolate left over from various things I’ve made, and so I chopped that up to get my white, milk and dark chocolate pieces instead of using chips. This process seems to infuse every bite with soft chocolate since you end up with some shards of chocolate and some chunks when you chop a block of chocolate. The shards melt into the cookie and don’t keep shape like a chip would, so the texture is different. If I had the $$$ to buy this kind of quality chocolate for every baked good I would use it every time. Although, a chocolate chip cookie isn’t quite the same without Nestle semi-sweets. So, I guess there are exceptions.
The only other change I made was to use a smaller scoop. I used an ice cream scoop roughly equal to golf ball size. I baked them for 9 minutes, let them cool for about 4 minutes and then transferred them to a cooling rack. They should look just a little too soft when you take them from the oven. These are quite treat to enjoy while still warm with a glass of really cold milk. But not to worry, they will not disappoint you if you eat them the next day. Enjoy!
Triple Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies
From The Tasty Kitchen Blog
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup White Granulated Sugar
- ⅔ cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 2 whole Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla
- 3-¼ cups All-purpose Flour
- 4 packages (1 Oz. Packets, NOT Sugar-free) Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1-¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup Each White, Milk, And Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips (I used chopped chocolate instead of chips)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking soda. Add to wet ingredients in 3 to 4 parts, making sure all is incorporated.
- Fold in chips.
- Chill the dough for an hour or so.
- Use a 1/4 cup as a scoop to scoop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.