Today I cleaned out my pantry and the cabinet that houses all of the medicine, vitamins, paper goods, cookie cutters, cake decorating gadgets, and some other random junk I own. It felt so good to throw some things away and get everything organized.
The most impressive things I tossed were a box of generic NyQuil from HEB that expired in 2007 and a pretty large container of Gatorade mix that also was “Best By” June of 2007. Why did we still have these things? We moved to Amarillo in 2008. Why did I not throw them both away when we moved?
Anyway, our pantry is not exactly spacious. A few items that I don’t use often had been tossed on top of a bunch of other things on the very top shelf. Out of sight, out of mind. After cleaning everything out I couldn’t find another place for these items, and I couldn’t bear to put them back where they had been after I’d cleaned everything up. So, I made these cereal bars.
I used the rest of a box of Chex I’d needed to make Chex mix a while back and a bag of mini marshmallows. It was nice to get rid of those items, but I still have a few other items that I’ve got to use up to have a truly tidy pantry. Stay tuned for what’s coming next! I have some very interesting ideas.
Once I had mixed up these bars and pressed them into the pan I had some doubts about how they would taste. I let them cool in the fridge for about an hour, then I sliced a small corner for myself. Then I sliced a large hunk of this stuff for myself! The Chex mix gives a different texture than Rice Krispies would, and the combination of white, milk chocolate and marshmallow is pretty addictive. You could use any cereal, any combination or any flavor of baking chips and probably add any other tasty bits your heart desires and come up with something quite yummy. So, run wild and go create goodness with cereal!
Double Chocolate Marshmallow Chex Treats
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 bag mini marshmallows (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Chex cereal (I used rice Chex)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Melt marshmallows, butter, corn syrup and 1 1/4 cups white chocolate chips over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Continue until everything has melted and is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Gently stir in the cereal until evenly coated, then stir in chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into a greased 9×13 pan and let cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy!