Oh goodness gracious. These cookies were so tasty. I decided to make them at the last minute while doing a little pantry cleaning. I had a bag af mini marshmallows, 2 half bags of chocolate chips, and some leftover cookies I’d made over the weekend that taste like graham crackers. I couldn’t help but think of a s’more. I haven’t had a true campfire s’more in a while, and while this doesn’t quite duplicate the experience of extinguishing a flaming, gooey marshmallow before pressing it on to a few squares of Hershey’s chocolate and a graham cracker, it is a good substitute.
I found this recipe on Cookie Madness. I had to change a few things in the recipe as it was a last minute decision and I did not feel like going to the store. I will try them the way they should be next time, but the ones I made were great anyway. I’m curious to see if they could be any better!
I used Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips in the cookie and on top. Next time I will use Hershey’s bars to for a more authentic s’more flavor. I also used my graham cracker-like cookies to make crumbs instead of regular honey grahams. After the first baking I lightly pressed 5-6 of both the marshmallows and chocolate chips onto each cookie. I would bake them a bit longer to brown the marshmallows, maybe 4 minutes or so. My cookies were soft, so an extra minute in the oven would probably be a good thing.
Cookies without extra goodies
Cookies WITH extra goodies
Makes about 20 large cookies
- 6 oz (170 grams) unsalted butter, cool room temperature
- 1/2 cup (96 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups (160 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (around 90 grams) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups (265 grams) semi-sweet chocolate (I used milk chocolate)
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 Hershey Bars, broken into pieces (I used a few chocolate chips instead)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer; beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in salt and baking soda making sure they are well distributed and free of lumps; stir in the flour, followed by graham cracker crumbs. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, spacing about 3 inches apart. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove and quickly press marshmallows and chocolate into cookies. Return to oven and cook until done (about 3 or 4 more minutes)