Crispy M&M’s are no longer being sold anywhere, and this is a bit heartbreaking for me. I loved those little chocolaty, crispy bits. My friend Kim and I used to share the big bags of them when we were roommates in college. For a while after they stopped selling them at grocery stores I could find them at Target, but I haven’t seen them in over a year now. My second favorite M&M is peanut butter.
I was at the store picking up some laundry soap and toothpaste when I saw a big bag of the Peanut Butter M&M’s on special, so I decided to buy one and make some cookies! I thought about doing an oatmeal cookie as the base, or maybe a peanut butter dough, but after much deliberation I settled on a chocolate chip cookie dough. I used Alton Brown’s recipe for The Chewy for a few reasons.
- I am not a fan of those thin chocolate chip cookies where the chocolate chips are sticking up out of the top of the cookie.
- The recipe uses bread flour, which I have an abundance of and would like to use up.
- The butter is melted, so I didn’t have to wait for the butter to soften.
I liked the chewiness of these cookies and the M&Ms were a great addition. The peanut butter inside the M&M’s in creamy and just a tad salty, the chocolate is sweet and soft, and the cookie itself has a terrific flavor and texture. I will definitely try this cookie dough with other mix-in’s another time.
Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups peanut butter M&Ms
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the M&Ms.
- Chill the dough for at least an hour, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.